What We're Reading - January 22, 2019
On this Tuesday edition of What We're Reading, we bring you ELL-related stories and resources from the last two weeks. For more great content, check out our Highest Aspirations podcast. Season 2 begins on Wednesday, January 23rd!
Teaching and Learning
- EurekAlert! reports on a Duke and Stanford study that shows U.S. immigrant children study more STEM subjects in high school and college.
- In this uplifting article from The Fresno Bee, Carmen George profiles a Yemeni refugee student who is excelling in computer programming while learning English.
- In his Classroom Q & A series from Education Week, Larry Ferlazzo asks 5 experts how to build speaking skills with ELLs.
- From New America, Ingrid T. Colón discusses the challenges of students with interrupted formal education (SIFE) and what should be done to best support them.
- From The Charlotte Observer, Ann Doss Helms reports on the costs and benefits of Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools' growing immigrant student population.
Policy and Practice
- From The Hechinger Report, Sarah Butrymowicz reports on a lack of resources that may be preventing refugee girls from reaching their highest aspirations.
- Education Week's Corey Mitchell highlights some of the opportunity gaps of the seal of biliteracy and what is being done to overcome them.
- The 74 reports that the Gates Foundation will give up to $10 million to support teacher training on high quality curricula, some of which will directly help ELLs.
- Also from The 74, Conor Williams analyzes Washington D.C.'s desire to increase dual language programs and how they can use it as a tool to advance equity.
- In another important piece from Education Week, Corey Mitchell explores whether or not schools value the bilingualism of ELLs and solicits opinions from educators around the country.
ELL Community Updates
- From Ellevation's Specialist Spotlight series, Hillsborough County Schools ESOL Resource Teacher Maria Clarke shares tips and strategies for engaging and coaching classroom teachers of ELLs.
- Season 2 of the Highest Aspirations Podcast begins on January 23rd! In the meantime, check out our 5 essential episodes from Season 1.
Want to get this newsletter delivered to your mailbox every other week? Join the ELL Community!