Family Engagement Strategies That Work: Home Visits, Site Visits, and More With Jamie Combs
What are some best practices to overcome challenges and ensure successful home visits for families of EL students? How might we set up activities outside of school, (in neutral locations) so that families can come together? How can districts use creative funding approaches to pay for these programs? How can educators get started with this important work?
We discuss these questions and much more with Jamie Combs. Jamie is a National Board Certified ELL Teacher in her 14th year teaching ELL students at Northern Elementary in Lexington, KY. She also teaches future ELL teachers in ESL Methods courses online for Asbury University in Wilmore, KY.
This is the second in a two part series featuring Katie Frances and Jamie Combs, who work collaboratively to maximize impact on ELLs and their families in Fayette County, Kentucky.
During our conversation, we reference the following resources:
- You can email Jamie here: email@example.com
- Family Literacy Practices for Immigrant Families - this is the slide deck from Katie and Jamie’s presentation on Kentucky Reading Association Conference in Louisville, KY
- Language Line - the phone based translation service that Jamie and Katie use in Fayette
- Move Your Bus: An Extraordinary Approach to Accelerating Success in Work and Life, by Ron Clark
- Project Based Learning and Newcomers With Donna Neary
- Cooking Up Family & Community Engagement With Renata Germino
- Author Helen Thorpe Discusses Her New Book - The Newcomers
Thanks for listening to Highest Aspirations! Be sure to follow us wherever you get your podcasts so you never miss an episode.