What We're Reading - March 20, 2019
Here are six articles that are trending this week in Ellevation's ELL Community...
- From Education Dive, Shawna de la Rosa profiles strategies by ELL Teacher Tan Huyhn and others that help educators use students' native languages to deepen English literacy.
- New America's Amaya Garcia and Jenny Muñiz lay out frameworks to help districts create successful "Grow Your Own" programs to address teacher shortages and close the diversity gap.
- From The Christian Science Monitor's Equal Ed initiative, Noble Ingram profiles programs in Portland, Maine that tap immigrants to help resolve the city's teacher shortage.
- In an article that is highly relevant to ELs, Julia Freeland-Fisher goes beyond the achievement gap and highlights the "relationship gap" that helps many students succeed while leaving others behind.
- Language Magazine spotlights the importance of recoginizing heritage languages as a key component of educational equity, with references to the Seal of Biliteracy as part of the solution.
- From Education Week, Sarah Spark discusses why lunch, exercise, sleep, and air quality should be at the top of the priority list for school districts.
Want these resources delivered directly to your inbox? Join the ELL Community in the box on this page!