What We're Reading - May 1, 2019
Here are 6 articles that are trending this week in Ellevation's ELL Community:
- From New America, Ingrid T. Colón discusses the economic benefits of bilingualism and the larger consequences of home language loss.
- The Washington Post education writer and columnist Jay Matthews shows how the Seal of Biliteracy might help change perceptions of bilingual students, particularly those from underserved school districts.
- From Seidlitz Education's blog, Nancy Motley highlights strategies for targeting talk so English learners can better acquire academic English.
- In an article published in SmartBrief, Sean Carter provides 3 strategies that schools can use to help refugees and their families access educational services.
- From Education Week, Corey Mitchell outlines some of the possible pitfalls that ESSA may have for English learners. The topic is covered more deeply in a new report by the Migration Policy Institute.
- The 74's Mark Keierleber provides an important update on DACA and the nearly 100K undocumented students who graduate from high school each year.
Want these resources delivered directly to your inbox? Join the ELL Community in the box on this page!