What We're Reading - May 8, 2019
Here are 6 articles that are trending this week in the EL Community:
- From the Seidlitz Education blog, Valentina Gonzalez discusses how the Total Physical Response (TPR) method can work for ELs and provides some great examples.
- Founder and lead consultant of Gardner & Associates Laura Gardner provides key takeaways on family engagement from a recent U.S. Department of Education EL parent roundtable event.
- From Charlottesville Tomorrow, Billy Jean Louis reports on a student video project aimed at highlighting immigration issues to make newcomers feel more welcome in schools and communities.
- In an article published in The New York Times, Eric Ravenscraft provides important perspective on what language learning apps like Duolingo can and can't do.
- From The Hechinger Report, Hongying Shen and Angel Rodriguez highlight persistent writing challenges and provide a possible solution through a "strategic inquiry" approach, which shows promise for all students.
- The 74's Mark Keierleber tells the inspiring story of Kayla Martinez, a Venezuelan immigrant who is receiving support from her school and community to follow her dream of performing on Broadway.
Want these resources delivered directly to your inbox? Join the ELL Community in the box on this page!