S2/E20: Collaborating with Content Teachers - Co-Planning, Co-Teaching, and More with Tan Huynh
How might EL Specialists establish and nurture relationships with content teachers who work with ELs? What are some simple strategies that can help make co-planning and co-teaching easier for all kinds of teachers? How can we encourage content teachers allow their EL students to create as a more effective way of learning. We discuss these questions and much more in this lively conversation Tan Huynh.
Tan Huynh (@TanELLclassroom) is a career teacher specializing in language acquisition. Tan has taught students from fifth to twelfth grade in public schools, private boarding schools, and charter schools. Internationally, Tan has taught in schools in China, Laos, and Vietnam. He shares teaching strategies on his blog, Empowering ELLs, and has provided professional development training in places such as China, Thailand, Singapore, Italy, and Canada. Tan’s goal is to support all teachers who are committed to empowering English learners whether it be in a tweet, a blog post, a book, a training, a course, or over coffee. Currently, he and others are preparing for the third annual VirtuEL conference, which is open to anyone for free online on Saturday, June 15th from 9am to noon eastern time. You can find out more about the conference by visiting http://bit.ly/VirtuEL.
During our conversation, we reference the following books and resources:
- Collaboration and Co-Teaching: Strategies for English Learners, by Andrea Honigsfeld and Maria G. Dove
- Boosting Achievement: Reaching Students with Interrupted and Minimal Education, by Carol Salva and Anna Matis
- EL Excellence Every Day: The Flip-to Guide for Differentiating Academic Literacy, by Tonya Ward-Singer
- The ELL Teacher's Toolbox, by Larry Ferlazzo and Katie Hull-Sypnieski
- Unlocking English Learners' Potential: Strategies for Making Content Accessible, by Diane Staehr Fenner
Be sure to subscribe to Highest Aspirations wherever you listen to podcasts so you don’t miss this episode or any of the others we have coming up!